ABBA's Farm & Artisan Tour
Farms & Artisans Tour of The Sandy Mush Valley in Leicester, NC
Get off the beaten path and explore Sandy Mush Valley, a hidden jewel in Western North Carolina.
Nestled between the mountains, Sandy Mush valley is a local’s secret! This beautiful valley is home to sustainable agriculture and supports a wide range of artisans and is relatively unknown to outsiders. Visit working farms and savor the landscape that has inspired artists for decades. At night, rest in comfort at your choice of one of Asheville’s top bed and breakfast destinations.
The 16 inns of the Asheville Bed & Breakfast Association (ABBA) are partnering with three Western NC farms, a vineyard and five artisans to give guests a glimpse of a road less traveled – and the discoveries and finds the journey brings. This independent driving tour takes visitors through the Sandy Mush community in Leicester, NC.
Farmer and promoter Terri Wells describes Sandy Mush as a “special place where families like mine have farmed for more than 200 years.” She says the area also attracts artists drawn to it because of its remoteness, beauty and sense of place.
ABBA’s Farms and Artisans Tour Package
Available the first Saturday of each month from May to October
Tour includes lodging at an Asheville Bed & Breakfast Association Inn
Guests select the inn that’s right for them. All are unique with amenities such as being pet-friendly; catering to gluten-free and other special diets; Victorian or Civil War-era homes or friendly farmhouses and cottages; and in-room spa services. Many are within walking distance of downtown.
All inns provide a gourmet breakfast each morning. Some inns also host young children
Your innkeepers will send you off with a picnic lunch to eat at Addison Farm Vineyard. Enjoy a tasting and complimentary glass, along with panoramic mountain views. In September, guests can watch the grape harvest.
- A touring map/guide of Leicester, NC’s Sandy Mush Community of Artisans and Farms. This Map/Guide will provide specific hours and contact info for each farm and artist.
- Shop for honey, beeswax candles and pick-your-own blackberries; explore the farm store at Sandy Hollar Farms.
- Explore the Long Branch Environmental Education Center, a farm designed for research, education and conservation. In addition to seeing solar farm buildings and a tobacco barn, pick up conservation tips and buy apples and cider.
- Visit the Sandy Mush Herb Nursery. Learn about culinary and medicinal uses for herbs, shop for herbs, wildflowers, Bonsai plants and more. A selection of books, seeds and handy items is available for purchase.
- 10% of your purchase price for goods from Addison Farm Vineyard and these farms will be donated to the Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy, helping to conserve and protective the Sandy Mush Valley and the Southern Appalachian Mountains.
Tour, shop, and experience a warm welcome at these fine artisan destinations:
- Jones Pottery, the studio of nationally recognized potter Matt Jones.
- The studio for quilter Laurie W. Brown.
- Painter Christine Hield at Sky Dance Art.
- Fiber artist June Hawkins at Sandy Hollar Farms. (She also owns Sandy Hollar Farms!)
- Frank Barbara Woodworking Studio
Asheville is known for the Biltmore and the city’s energetic local food scene and craft brew culture. This ABBA package takes the Asheville experience one step further.
Asheville is one of the top fall East Coast destinations in the country. Please make reservations as quickly as you can. Traveling on the weekdays offers a greater selection of rooms as the fall travel season comes closer.
A stay at an Asheville B&B is an experience to remember!
Our knowledgeable innkeepers will transform your trip into an adventure with their knowledge of the area and their ability to match guest preferences to Asheville’s mountain magic.
It’s the perfect gift for any occasion
- Use at any of our 16 unique B&Bs or Inns, in and around the Asheville area.
- Options range from kid-friendly to adult-only to pet-friendly and most offer in-room spa treatments for the ultimate in relaxation.
- All offer two- or three-course gourmet breakfasts. Many offer unique dietary accommodations from gluten-free to Paleo, vegan, and more.
- Customize your gift for whatever amount you like. You will receive an attractive certificate that you can present or mail to your recipient.
- Gift certificates will be processed within 24-48 hours of purchase. ABBA Gift Certificates are valid for three years. Individual inn policies apply when booking.
- All inns are peer reviewed and inspected by Association members which includes some of the top-rated TripAdvisor inns in the US.
Experience the joy and challenge of a famous Donald Ross Signature golf course through our exclusive Guest Golf Package, available only to Asheville Bed and Breakfast Association guests. Our rates are exclusive to Asheville Bed & Breakfast Association Inns and are 30-50% percent below rates available elsewhere. In addition our rates include club rental ($60 value).
Advanced golf tee times must be arranged by your inn hosts. The golf course is open year round excluding inclement weather. Tee times are subject to availability on Fridays and Saturdays.
April 1st- October 31st
Sunday through Thursday
Friday & Saturday
Twilight (after 3pm any day)
November 1st- March 31st
For more specials please refer to each inn’s website.
The Asheville Bed & Breakfast Association is proud to be a partner of the Montford Park Players, Asheville’s long-standing Shakespearean Theater troupe. Whether you choose to take a walk-on role in the performance or simply watch, you will be treated as a backstage VIP.
This vacation special offer is exclusive to guests at one of the Asheville Bed & Breakfast Association inns. Theater schedules can be found here: Montford Park Players.
The special guest packages are:
$18 Adults | $10 Children for special reserved seating tickets, including:
- “Dress Up & Play”, costumed walk-on role
- Special complimentary picnic basket
- 2 Logo Umbrellas (in case of heavy dew)
- Complimentary T-shirt (sizes S-XXL) and complimentary beverages (wine, beer, soda)
Masonic Temple Tour
$10 per Person
- Private afternoon guided tours of early 20th-century Masonic architecture
- View hand-painted theater props by Thomas Gibbs Moses
- Discover first-hand the secrets of Freemasonry
- Free parking
For more specials please refer to each inn’s website.